So we went to the doctor's yesterday morning for the first time. We were somewhat concerned because Jamie Rose just switched to my health insurance, and as a result, had to switch to a new doctor. And Dr. Garrison wasn't taking any new patients, so we had to call and ask and he had to personally approve her. I'm sure it didn't hurt that when she called, she told them she was pregnant, and he approved her with no questions asked. But, we were worried that she would be stuck in limbo, pregnant and needing to see a doctor ASAP, but not being able to find one that we liked. I think this was probably just one more instance where the Plum name came in handy.
Anyway, we got there and got situated in the room and waited for Dr. Garrison to come in. We were, of course, nervous that maybe we had been misinterpreting things, and so I think we were both a little anxious waiting there. But, he came in and said, "So, you think you're pregnant? Well, then you probably are." And he asked a number of questions about how JR has been feeling and all the other stuff that goes along with being pregnant. We told him that she took two pregnancy tests, both which turned up positive, and he said "Oh well, you're definitely pregnant." He sent us down to the lab for some blood work to confirm what we all already knew, and to make sure everyone was healthy and there was nothing unexpected going on with JR that could complicate things.
Since I last wrote a week ago, we went over to my parents on Thursday night to have a last dinner before Ryan took off back to school in Oklahoma. We had a great time and it was a lot of fun to just sit around and talk with everybody. But, as is often the case, the conversation somehow came around to when JR and I were planning on having kids. Kristen wanted it to be by Micah's birthday (not possible), Ryan wanted it by his, and Mom and Dad wanted it by Christmas. I don't mean there was any pressure, but it was pretty funny to hear them all debate when it would happen with us already knowing it was in the process. As far as we could tell them at the time, we weren't making any promises and we had to act like it wasn't really in the cards for the time being. Of course, while JR grew up acting, I am terrible at it, so it wouldn't suprise me a bit if my face somehow betrayed our secret. I did notice one thing that maybe gave an indication that something wasn't quite right. As we sat down for dinner, Mom asked JR if she wanted a glass of wine, which she obviously turned down saying, "No, I'm fine with water right now." And just for a split second, Mom looked at JR, who wasn't looking back at her, and gave a little squint as if to just say, "hmmm," then it broke and she walked away. I wonder what she was thinking in that moment. Was it was just a look or did she have some idea?
Also, as we have come to find out since there is one person who JR just couldn't help but tell, the Ericksons have some pretty strong suspicions about what is going on. In fact, there are a bunch of bets amongst them about what will be announced when they are here on Saturday. We tried to play it off that they should just come up to see the newly remodeled kitchen, but between the random invitation and JR not having a drink last weekend when we were there, I'm pretty sure they have an idea of what's coming. Actually, Jimmy and Vanessa weren't going to be able to come up, but after all the discussion at the Erickson house, they have cancelled their previous plans to be there.
Anyway, it has been interesting trying to sneak around and keep things from people. I don't think we're all that good at it, and anyone who has spent any time with us has thought something fishy was up. Heck, according Jaimie and Owen (who figured it out all on their own at dinner on Sunday because they were trying to plan a trip in October and all we could say was, "Well, not sure if that's going to work"), the Duggans (Jaimie's parents) suspect JR is pregnant just because she was taking a nap on Saturday while I went to the store to pick up stuff for dinner. If it's that easy to figure out, we have no chance. Plus, we're both so excited that we can't wait to be able to share the good news with everyone, especially our families. So, because we are supposed to get the results on Wednesday, the Plums will be coming over on Friday night and the Ericksons will be here on Saturday. We really, really can't wait to tell you guys. JR thinks Grandpa Jim will cry, and I'm pretty sure Mom (or DD I guess) will flip out with excitement because I know she's wanted this for us since just about the day after we got married. It's going to be so much fun to share this with all of you.
I know JR is beyond thrilled. She just seems to walk around with a smile on her face all the time. And nothing can really get her down right now. She spends all her free time searching the internet for information, or reading magazines, or just imagining how it will be. As for me, I've spent way too much time looking at baby names, or searching for really small Dodger jerseys, or trying to figure out if I can take the newest Plum to what may be Vin Scully's last game in September (too soon? ), or how hard of a time will my friends give me when they find out. It's just an incredibly fun, exciting time in the Plum house, and I don't think either of us can believe it has only been a week since we found out. This is going to take forever. But, until then, all we can do is imagine how awesome our life will be with a new member of the family. We can't wait.
January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment